Monday, April 12, 2010

NaPoWriMo #12 - Gathering

National Poetry Month Prompt #12 (From ReadWritePoem) - Secret Codes
     Make up a secret code. Begin by writing a few nonsense sentences, like “The raindrops tap out a cry for help” or “The dandelions are saying all at once, ‘You are overwhelmed.’” The formula is easy: come up with a message and assign it to something unlikely. Remember, of course, that inanimate objects can speak and that signs and symbols may be nonverbal.
       Once you have a few sentences, select the one that is most intriguing to you and use it to start a poem.


Gathering

You wear your coat wrapped tightly
Around your treasure; mottled grays
distracting your worth.
When I was young, I heard your calling –
far more quiet than thunderous.
I gathered you and others,
in a basket used for eggs,
carrying you carefully home.
I wonder - did you feel pain,
when the blade cut through your heart
revealing your soul?
I never heard you cry…
You only whispered stories;
I held you close, repeating what I heard.
Now your treasure is widely known;
Seekers come from distant places
just to capture a glimpse of your glory.
Do you still whisper invitations?
I miss your call.

©Bridget Nutting, 2010


1 comment:

Sara Kearns said...

'some nice descriptive lines in here. the concrete are the best because they best evoke imagery: "You wear your coat wrapped tightly,"
"and in a basket used for eggs,"...
good images in subtly rhythmic language. 'nice.